Saturday, August 29, 2015

Line Up 2015-2016

This year, with five school aged kids, I am trying to keep things simple.  And by simple, I mean not planning anything myself.  I'm going to attempt to use my BookShark (or Sonlight in some cases) curriculum as scheduled and not deviate or do other things.  Nothing bugs me more on recipe websites than people writing a review that says, "I love this recipe! Only I added more cinnamon and less baking powder and and extra cup of chocolate chips!" because that isn't using the recipe-that is creating something else.  Which isn't bad of course, but this year I'm not going there.  For the first time ever.

I love adding extra hands-on projects and documentaries and actually had to stop myself from planning a list of extras.  I just don't need the work this year.  Now, if my kids come up with a self-directed project, I have no problem opening the craft cupboard and setting them loose.  I just don't want to put my own effort into anything.  Three kids under three is enough extra hands-on project for me!

This year, my 13yo son will be using Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2 for math, Rosetta Stone Spanish 1 and The Fallacy Detective for his electives, The Big History Project for science, and BookShark Level 8, a one year course of American history, for history and literature.  He is also taking a writing course outside our home for a classroom experience.

My 12yo son and 9 (almost 10) yo daughter will be using BookShark 4 Reading with History, the second year of the American History curriculum.  They are using their own levels of Teaching Textbooks for math (Pre-Algebra and Grade 5).  S (12yo) is using BookShark 4 for language arts, which uses readers from the reading and history.  E (9yo) is using Sonlight's language arts for 4th/5th graders.  Her readers are slightly easier than the readers that are scheduled for the reading/history course.  These two students are also working together in science.  There is not a huge difference between Sonlight's Science E and BookShark's Level 4 Science.  So we are learning from the Sonlight version, because I already bought it a long time ago, but we are using BookShark's worksheets.  S has already read most of the books simply because they have been on my shelf for four or five years, but going through the material, experiments, and worksheets will be good for his organizational and writing skills.

My 7yo daughter and 5yo son will be using Saxon 2 and 1 for math.  They will be using BookShark's Level 1 Reading with History program, which is an introduction to world history.  They will have their own language arts levels, also BookShark: F (7yo) is using Grade 2 and D (5yo) will be finishing up some kindergarten work before he starts Grade 1.  They will be using Sonlight's Core B science, again, because I already own it.  However, because I bought it seven (or more?) years ago, the books are slightly different than what is now offered.

All of my kids will be going to Homeschool PE and taekwondo at the YMCA.  The older boys are active in Boy Scouts and the girls participate in dance classes.  I've tried to focus on just the bare minimum for our activities and obligations, but I also know that I'm going to need a break from time to time, so I will be going to a MOPS meeting one time per month.

My goal this year is to just do my best...and forgive myself if I don't :)

No comments:

Post a Comment